Monday, January 28, 2013

Slump Test

Purpose: To assess for movement restriction/impingement of the dura and spinal cord and/or nerve roots. Modifications test for cervical and lumbar nerve roots, sciatic nerve, obturator nerve and femoral nerve impingements.
Patient/Therapist Position and Procedure: Pt is seated on edge of table, feet hanging off the table. Pt is instructed to “slump” over into thoracic and lumbar flexion. Pt has hands behind his/her back. Pt is asked to keep neck and head in neutral (no flexion). If there are no reproduction of neurological symptoms, the PT progresses to the slump test modifications.

*Note- Unaffected leg should always be tested first.


Interpretation: + indication when pain is reproduced with comparable symptoms; if pt is unable to extend (affected) knee due to pain and then the pain is relieved when overpressure of the cervical spine is released the pt actively extends their neck.

Statistics: Sensitivity 84%, Specificity 83%






References:

Magee, David and Sueki, Derrick. Orthopedic Physical Assessment Atlas and Video: Selected Special Tests and Movements. Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation Series. 2011.

Javid Majlesi, MD, Halit Togay, MD, et. Al.  “The Sensitivity and Specificity of the Slump and the Straight Leg Raising Tests in Patients with Lumbar Disc Herniation.” JCR: Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. Volume 14, Number 2, April 2008. Pgs. 87-92.






4 comments:

  1. Lumbar spine surgery in India is necessarily preferred for the patient as to stop the further damage to the spinal cord and other kinds of fatal. The surgery would be time taking and would comparatively take time for recovery. As dealing with nerves and all the incision seems risky sometimes it may lead to paralysis of any of the part in case if any nerve is cut by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lumbar spine surgery is necessarily preferred for the patient as to stop the further damage to the spinal cord and other kinds of fatal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Emmanuel the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Emmanuel write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Emmanuel instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348140073965. And He a lso have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC 

    ReplyDelete